Sunday, March 16, 2008

We have chugged the 8+ hours back from Fairhope, the bay, and the river. It was beautiful and fun and I must post some photos. A couple are from a very very funky BBQ place. It looks unsanitary but I think....it was maybe ok. Had good food. Also a shrimp place and a church.

The Spanish moss was hanging from the oaks, the pecan trees were a ghostly silver among the outrageous green grass and the river was well populated with osprey, cardinals, buzzards, pelicans, ibis, and my favorite, the great blue heron.

Also had a jog through the Fairhope art and craft fair. The usual proportion of really good, ok, and really awful offerings. I found a jeweler there, Barbara Foley from Joplin Mo, who was fantastic. Her tent was packed with people like me wanting to give her our money. Great work. Also bought a fine trigger fish made of stone and carved and sanded (many many hours) by Peter and Stephanie Haddow from Madison, Mississippi.

Perhaps the most interesting is the cement round house in Fairhope, built by Henry Stuart, "the Poet of Tolstoy Park" (the book of the same name is by Sonny Brewer....good read) He was a barefoot and eccentric poet with utopian ideas, and inspired by Tolstoy.

1 comment:

  1. unsanitary bbq is the very BEST bbq! can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete



swamp, 55" x 29"

in progress

flying fish, 55" x 29"

eye with a view

free counters

Followers

Popular Posts

more stuff:

http://flickr.com/photos/siptak
http://gailsiptak.com
http://koelschgallery.com

studio

studio

About Me

My photo
I am living and painting in the little town of Houston. A far way from my San Francisco beginnings. I paint what I see of the human condition, be it human, animal or object. The glimmer of humor, pathos, and spirit in so much of what I see is the basis of what I paint.

copyright

All content here is under copyright: Gail Siptak. Please ask for permission if you wish to use them. Thanks.

Total Pageviews