Monday, July 21, 2008

creaking bones, pitiful muscles

I am putting together stretchers and stretching canvas. Nothing to remark on except that for the past 2 or 3 years I have been working relatively small. Easel work. Now I'm going back to the 60" x 50" size. Unless someone else builds them for me, I think my 76" x 84" canvases are in the past.

Crikey, you know you are getting old when you can't heft the heft you hefted before. My old stretchers are especially heavy. Sometimes stripping off an old not so successful painting and putting on new canvas is an easier way to go. Except then.......you have to deal with millions of old stubborn staples on the old painting.

But there is no saying "aw, forget it". There are some ideas that need more space. So, now I work a while til my back is screaming at me and then sit for a bit. Then jump back up and sneak in a little more work before my back notices.

Another solution would be to work unstretched....which is do-able with acrylic (now that I'm using the damn stuff). There are too many ideas galloping in my head not to go big again.

No comments:

Post a Comment



swamp, 55" x 29"

in progress

flying fish, 55" x 29"

eye with a view

free counters

Followers

Popular Posts

more stuff:

http://flickr.com/photos/siptak
http://gailsiptak.com
http://koelschgallery.com

studio

studio

About Me

My photo
I am living and painting in the little town of Houston. A far way from my San Francisco beginnings. I paint what I see of the human condition, be it human, animal or object. The glimmer of humor, pathos, and spirit in so much of what I see is the basis of what I paint.

copyright

All content here is under copyright: Gail Siptak. Please ask for permission if you wish to use them. Thanks.

Total Pageviews